- 200 grams butter, chopped
- 200 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- To serve:
- ¾ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon each cocoa and ground cinnamon
- 20 cm cake tin greased and base lined with baking paper
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.
3. Gradually stir in the eggs then fold in the flour, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the centre of the cake is set but not too firm. Transfer to a rack and leave to cool completely in the tin.
To serve: Whip the cream and vanilla to soft peaks. Remove the cake from the tin and gently peel off the baking paper. Place on a serving plate and dust with the combined icing sugar, cocoa and cinnamon.
Recipe: Claire Aldous, Photography: Aaron McLean