- 1 eggplant (about 500 g/1 lb)
- 1/3 cup All-Bran Original cereal
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green capsicum
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded, reduced fat, mozzarella cheese
Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Place halves cut side down in shallow baking pan. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp, leaving about 1cm (1/2-inch) shell. Place shells cut side up in baking pan.
In large bowl, coarsely chop pulp. Stir in cereal, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, Parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon back into eggplant shells, pressing in firmly. Cover with foil; pierce in several places to allow steam to escape. Bake for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove foil, sprinkle tops with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 2 minutes more or until cheese melts. To serve, cut each half into 2 pieces.