American chocolate chip cookies
"My spin on the American Toll House traditional chocolate chip cookies. My version yields a flavourful, velvety-smooth drop biscuit or an equally yummy thick bar cookie when baked in a pan. They stay soft and moist and keep well, but don't count on them being around for long..."
- 2 1/4 cups flour - sifted 3 times
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups 'Nestle' semi-sweet chocolate chips, chilled
- 1 cup salted cashews, rinsed, dried and coarsely chopped
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, sift this mixture three times.
- Place butter in a large bowl, melt in microwave until butter is liquid. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl, then add vanilla essence blending well. Add sour cream and beat until smooth and velvety. Set aside.
- Add sugar and brown sugar to the liquified butter, blend and return to microwave, (very low setting a few seconds at a time, stir and repeat) until mixture liquefies. Remove from microwave and stir occasionally while mixture cools, until a it solidifies into a smooth paste form. To speed cooling, rest bowl in shallow cold water in sink basin.
- When butter/sugar mixture is cool add egg mixture, beating well until mixture is well blended. *Never add egg mixture to warm butter/sugar or the egg will 'cook', ruining the batter.
- Gradually add sifted flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, slowly, beating well after each addition . Batter will thicken considerably as more flour is added.
- Fold in chocolate chips (and cashews or other nuts, is desired).
- Bar cookies (slices): Preheat oven to 190 C. (metal pan) or 175C (Pyrex or glass pan). Spread cookie dough evenly into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares or slices when completely cool, if you can wait that long...
- **Drop cookies: Cover bowl and chill until dough is cool and firm. * Kids favourite method. Makes lots. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto baking paper-lined baking tray/sheet(s). Bake in preheated 190 C oven until edges just start to brown. Remove from oven and let sit 2-3 minutes before transferring them on to a cooling rack. If using the same baking tray/sheet, remove baking paper and rince the tray/sheet under cold tap, then reuse baking paper. Don't put cookie dough on a hot or warm baking tray.
Store bikkies in airtight containers or in ziplocks. They freeze well, too.