Easy to prepare, delicious and served with a nice green salad it makes an ideal special lunch dish.
View the method
- 280ml milk
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Pinch of mustard powder
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 3 tablespoons grated cheese
Back to ingredients
- Bring the milk to the boil.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the bread to it while stirring briskly with a wooden spoon.
- Beat well for 2 minutes.
- Add seasonings and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Add egg yolks and finally the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a deep greased ovenproof dish and bake on a middle shelf for 20-30 minutes at 180C.
- To separate an egg, break it over a bowl, splitting the shell into halves, then pass the contents of the egg from one half of the shell to the other half.
- This allows the white to fall into the bowl as the yolk is transferred back and forth between the shell halves.
- If you're planning to whip the egg whites, take care not to get any yolk in the white.
- Whites that have any fat at all in them will not whip properly.
- It's usually not a problem to have a little white left in the yolk.
- The whites should be allowed to reach room temperature before beating because this allows the egg whites to increase in volume more rapidly when beaten.