Roast poussin with wild mushrooms & truffle potato mash
"Tiny baby crispy chickens, 1 each, roasted with herbs, served with mashed potato & truffle oil, wild mushrooms, artichoke hearts, & broad beans in a cream sauce. There's something wonderful about a baby chicken all to yourself, mmmmmm, knawing on the bones. This will leave you totally satisfied..."
- 4 Poussin (baby chicken, about 400g each).
- Handful of Rosemary & Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Oil or Duck Fat
- 1/2 Lemon squeezed
- Cooking oil
- 300g mixed wild Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shallots, sliced
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs chopped, (parsley, chives basil, tarragon).
- 150g cooked, shelled Broad Beans
- 2 cooked Artichoke hearts, halved
- 4 medium potatoes (mashing variety).
- 50g butter
- 50ml hot milk
- 1/2 Tbsp truffle oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp Kaitaia Fire Hot Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 20g cold Butter chunks
Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oven on fan bake 190 Celsius.
- Dry skin of the poussin. Squeeze lemon in the cavity. Add herbs to cavity.
- Heat duck fat in pan & briefly brown all sides of the poussin over med-high heat. Tuck wings forward & underneath the bird. Place in roasting dish breast side up & cook for 35 min. Check birds, & cook extra 10 min till skin is golden & crisp.
- Heat oil in pan. Add mushrooms & saute for few min. Add garlic & shallots & continue to cook whilst stirring. When cooked add fresh herbs & season with salt & pepper to taste. Before serving add broad beans & quartered artichokes.
- Add hot sauce & stir through just before serving.
- Peel potatoes & chop in half.
- Place in pot & cover with cold water. Bring to boil, turn down heat & simmer until cooked. Tip off water & place back on stove. Add butter & salt to pot & heat. Mash or sieve through a ricer. Add truffle oil just before serving.
- Heat stock & wine in pot until reduced to 50ml.
- Add cream & reduce to half. Add butter & whisk until mixed.
- Add rest of ingredients & keep warm till ready to serve. Do not boil.