Cheese and Chive Souffle Omelette
This classic two-cheese soufflé omelette is delicious served with a crisp green salad.
View the method
- 3 large eggs, size 7
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- ½ cup grated aged cheddar or gruyère cheese
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan
- good knob of butter
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting and have the rack about 10cm below the grill.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Soufflé omelette:Separate the eggs, putting the yolks in a small bowl and the whites in a large bowl. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Season the yolks generously with salt and pepper and stir in the mustard and chives. Using a large metal spoon, gently but thoroughly fold the egg yolks into the egg whites, along with half each of the cheddar and parmesan.
- Add the butter to the hot sauté pan and when sizzling tip in the eggs and give it a shake to evenly spread the mixture. Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes then scatter over the remaining cheddar. Place under the grill for about 1 minute or until the cheese has melted and is lightly golden. Loosen the edges and fold the omelette in half then slide onto a plate.
- To serve:Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan and a grind of pepper and serve immediately.