Ricotta and Lemon Fritters
Easy to put together and very quick to cook, these light, moreish fritters could soon become a family favourite.
View the method
- 250 grams firm ricotta cheese (I used Clevedon Valley Buffalo)
- 2 large eggs, size 7
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- vegetable oil for cooking
- Honey Syrup, to serve, recipe below
- Honey Syrup:
- ½ cup caster sugar
- juice 1 large orange and 1 large lemon
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1–2 teaspoons orange blossom or rose water
Back to ingredients
- Stir the ricotta and eggs together in a large bowl, leaving some texture in the ricotta. Stir in the caster sugar and zest, then gently stir in the combined flour and baking powder and salt.
- Heat 1cm of oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the oil and cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden and puffed. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle with some of the Honey Syrup, serving the rest of the syrup separately.
- Place all of the ingredients, except the flower water in a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook at a fast simmer for 10–15 minutes until reduced and syrupy. Stir in the flower water, cool then chill.