Steak and Rocket Sandwiches with Tomato and Chilli Relish
A good steak sandwich doesn’t need a lot of extras. Tomato relish, rocket and mayo on good sourdough bread is the winner for me.
View the method
- 4 x 100 gram sirloin steaks
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- handful rocket or baby cos lettuce leaves
- tomato and chilli relish
- Tomato and Chilli Relish:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 500 grams ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 long red chillis, roughly chopped (keep the seeds in for a hotter relish)
Back to ingredients
- Preheat a barbecue or ridged grill.
- Brush the steaks lightly with oil and season generously.
- Cook for 2 minutes each side or until done to your liking. Set aside loosely covered while you grill the bread.
- Brush both sides of the bread lightly with oil and grill until golden. Rub both sides with the raw clove of garlic.
- To assemble: Spread the grilled bread with mayonnaise then spoon over some tomato and chilli relish and a few rocket leaves. Slice the steaks thinly and pile on top then add a few more rocket leaves and relish. Sandwich with the remaining grilled bread and eat immediately. Makes 4.
- Tomato and Chilli Relish: Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, capsicum, garlic, salt, ginger, cinnamon stick and star anise for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sugar and cook for 1 minute then add all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally until reduced and very thick and shiny.
- Tip into a sterilized jar and seal. When cool, store in the refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.