Tostadas with Black Beans
It’s easy to feed a crowd with these baked tostadas and you can vary the flavours by adding roasted vegetables on top of the beans.
View the method
- 8 x 10cm corn tortillas
- Black Beans, see recipe below
- 1½ cups grated aged cheddar cheese
- Topping suggestions:
- sour cream, sliced avocado, fresh red chilli, pickled jalapeño chillis, thinly sliced cos lettuce, fresh coriander
- Black Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes (I use tinned)
- 400-gram tin black beans/
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- sea salt
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan bake.
- Place the tortillas on a flat-lined baking tray and top each one with black beans, leaving a 1cm border.
- Sprinkle with the cheese then bake for 8–10 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- To serve: Garnish each tostada with your favourite combination of toppings. Serve immediately. Makes 8
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and add the onion and garlic with a good pinch of salt. Cover and cook until the onion is very tender. Add the cumin, coriander, oregano and chipotle peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the beans into a sieve set over a bowl. Add the beans and ½ cup of liquid from the tin, along with the tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until reduced and thick, about 3–5 minutes. Stir through the coriander. Makes about 1½ cups