Wild mussels grilled in the half shell
"Grilled Mussels presented in the half shell as an entree. Usually gone within minutes of coming out from under the grill."
View the method
- 25 Fresh mussels in the shell (mid size are best I find if gathering yourself)
- 25g melted butter
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup tasty grated cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Back to ingredients
- Scrub mussel shells then steam open in a large pot.
- Run cold water over mussels and open shells keeping the best half of the shell.
- Place the half shell on the oven tray with 1 debearded mussel on each shell.
- Drizzle melted butter (with optional garlic mixed in) over each mussel.
- Drizzle about a half tsp of Sweet Chilli Sauce onto 12 of the mussels and sprinkle the chopped Corriander over the sauce.
- Drizzle about a half tsp of wine over the rest of the mussels.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the 25 mussels.
- Grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts and the crumb are golden brown.
- Plate up, and watch them vanish.
- Note: should be served straight away.