Indian style prawn & mushroom rice
"This is usually made with mushrooms alone....but I threw in some prawns and got an amazing result!Now I always add prawns. Its easy to make and gives such good flavour and taste.This is one of my favourite 'pot-luck' meals!"
- 1 cup Button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cleaned and deveined prawns (frozen prawns will do too)
- 2.5 cups Indian Basmathi rice
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 flakes garlic-crushed
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I use canola)
- Salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 pieces cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 red chillies (make it 2 if you prefer mild)
- Wash rice and cook it with 5 cups of water till soft and tender.This may take approximately 15 minutes or so...Fluff it up and keep it aside covered.
- Wash,clean and chop mushrooms into slices.
- Chop tomatoes and onions fairly fine.
- Grind the Masala ingredients and crushed garlic to a fine powder.
- In a deep fry pan,heat oil and add mushrooms and onions and fry till tender.
- Then add the masala powder and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes,coconut cream and prawns and give it a good toss.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes or till everything mixes well.
- Lastly, add the cooked rice and salt to this mushroom-prawn masala and give it a good mix.Cook covered for another 3 minutes and then take off heat.
- Serve this with Cucumber and mint yogurt, or with plain yogurt.
For Cucumber Mint-Yoghurt:
- Mix all these below ingredients in a bowl.
- 2 cups plain yogurt.
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber.
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 tsp cummin powder.
- 1 pinch of sugar.