Pakora with Mango Chutney
Pakora are a delicious flavour-packed Indian snack. Made with grated potato, onion, coriander and fragrant spices, they’re perfect for an afternoon treat or to accompany curry night.
- 800 grams Agria potatoes, washed and grated
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped coriander
- 150 grams plain flour
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- To serve:
- Mango chutney
1. Mix the grated potato, onion and coriander in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, garam masala, cumin, turmeric and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Add the flour mixture to the potato and with clean hands massage the mixture together until well combined. If necessary, add a splash of water to loosen it.
4. Heat a large pot with 8cm of vegetable oil to 180°C.
5. When the oil is hot, work in batches and carefully lower tablespoons of the batter mixture into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes or until the pakoras are crisp and golden-brown and the vegetables have cooked through. Remove, drain on paper towels and keep warm.