San Choy Bau
San Choy Bau is a beautifully fresh and flavoursome Chinese dish that is packed full of delicious ingredients and is great fun to eat. Iceberg lettuce cups are ideal little hand-held bowls that you fill with a fragrant pork mince and top with crisp veges. If you’ve never tried it before then you must, it’ll become a firm favourite.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 600 grams pork mince
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin (optional)
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- Gem Lettuce leaves
- Carrot, peeled and julienned
- Bean sprouts
- Chopped peanuts
- Freshly chopped chilli (optional)
- Lemon wedges
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the pork and cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking it up to ensure it cooks evenly.
4. Add the ginger, garlic, oyster and soy sauces and sesame oil and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the pork is completely cooked, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the mirin and stir through with the spring onions just before serving.