Slow Cooked Indian Lamb and Chickpea Curry
Try this delicious Indian Spiced Curry! The lamb leg steaks are incredibly tender and the Wattie’s Chickpeas add a real bite. Try our slow cooker option for an easy mid-week dinner.
- 600g lamb leg steaks, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp curry powder (hot or mild)
- 2 Tbsp Wattie’s Tomato Paste
- 2 x 400g cans Wattie’s Indian Style Tomatoes
- 400g can Wattie’s Chickpeas in Sprngwater, drained
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped to garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 160C.
2. Heat a dash of oil in a flame proof casserole dish. Add chopped lamb and brown over a high heat. Remove lamb from the dish and set aside. Reduce heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion softens. Stir in curry powder and Wattie’s Tomato Paste and cook a further minute. Return lamb to the pan.
3. Pour over Wattie’s Indian Style Tomatoes and add Wattie’s Chickpeas. Stir while bringing to the boil. Cover. Transfer to oven. Cook for 2-2 1/2 hours, until lamb is tender. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice and your favourite green vegetables.
Slow Cooker Option:
1.Turn the slow cooker onto low to preheat.
2. Brown the lamb in a frying pan over high heat. Transfer to the slow cooker.
3. Add all the other ingredients except for the chickpeas. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until the meat is tender. Add chickpeas 1 hour before the end of cooking.