Chicken and Prawn Jambalaya
Jambalaya means jumbled or mixed up, which is a great way to describe this dish as it contains a mix of spice, chicken, prawns, vegetables and rice. You can experiment with different meats and veg, depending on what’s in the fridge!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 200g cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 250g basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (this can be purchased in most supermarkets)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml chicken stock
- 150g frozen cooked, peeled prawns, defrosted (optional)
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken, rice and Cajun seasoning for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes, gradually adding the stock, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the prawns and peas and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Season to taste.