Macaroni and cheese
With a crunchy high-fibre topping and plenty of veg, this macaroni cheese is feel-good comfort food for the whole family.
View the method
- 50g (1/2 cup) macaroni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette), trimmed, grated
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml reduced fat milk
- 50g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 60g (1/4 cup) ricotta cheese
- 100g (1 cup) corn kernels
- 60g (3/4 cup) All-Bran® Original
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salad leaves, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced. Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Drain well, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and zucchini (courgette), cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the flour, cook stirring for 1 minute more.
- Gradually start adding the milk, constantly stirring until smooth and the milk is incorporated. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat, stir through the ricotta, corn and half of the parmesan cheese. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the cheese sauce to the bowl with the pasta and stir to combine. Transfer to a 1.5 litre (6 cup) oven proof baking dish. Meanwhile, combine the remaining parmesan cheese, All-Bran® Original and parsley. Sprinkle top of the pasta with All-Bran® Original mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with salad leaves.