Give the classic carbonara a twist by adding chilli and garden fresh peas.
View the method
- 100g pancetta from the service deli
- 50g parmesan from cheese bar
- 3 shallots (or 1 medium onion) from the produce department
- 2 cloves garlic from the produce department
- 250g dried spaghetti
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g frozen peas
- Olive oil
Back to ingredients
- Separate the yolks of 2 eggs and set aside. Finely grate parmesan. Peel and finely chop shallots and garlic, and slice pancetta into small pieces and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, add half a ladle of the hot pasta water and half the grated Parmesan to the egg yolks and mix with a fork.
- Bring a fry pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Cook chilli flakes, shallots and garlic in the fry pan for approx 2 minutes, add pancetta.
- A few minutes before the pasta is ready add frozen peas to the garlic, shallots and pancetta mix.
- When the pasta is cooked drain and return to the saucepan.
- Stir egg and parmesan mixture through the pasta, along with the contents of the fry pan.
- Serve onto pre-warmed plates and finish with the remainder of the grated parmesan.
Semi-cooked or raw eggs not suitable for pregnant women.