Kris' amazing apple pie
"This is the best apple pie you will ever eat. It pulls together the best tastes of two other apple pies I love and is unique. I'm new to cooking a baking, but people always ask for this recipe when I cook it for them. I'm 16."
View the method
- 2 sheets of ready made sweet shortcrust pasty
- 110 grams of butter
- 2 Tbsp of flour
- 1 packed cup of brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 8 apples. Granny Smiths are good, but all are fine. Peeled cored and chopped in chunks
- 9 inch pie dish
- egg white for crisping the pastry
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a suacepan. When melted, add the flour and stir on a medium heat for 5 minutes or longer for more of a toffee mixture.
- Wash the pastry with egg and put it into the dish, egg side down. The reason you do this is so the egg crisps up the pastry and you're not left with a soggy base :)
- Fill the pie with apples, mounded slightly.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle over the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cut the second pastry sheet into one inch wide strips and layer like lattice over the apples, leaving about 3/4 inch between rows.
- Gently put the sugar and butter mixture through the holes in the lattice, leaving a little at the end to dribble over the lattice pastry itself.
- Bake 15 minutes in the pre heated oven and then reduce the temperature to 175 degrees and continue to cook fo25 minutes or until the apples are soft.