Green papaya salad with crispy pork
"We have just returned from our first family holiday to Asia staying in Phuket, in Thailand and fell in love with the people, the place and the food. Fresh, clean, exotic flavours, with a bit of spice that are distinct to Thailand."
View the method
- 6 oz Pork neck
- 1 cup palm oil
- 1/2 cup kecap manis
- 3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Star Anaise (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4-6 birds eye chillis
- 1 Tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp dried shrimp
- Slice lime
- 4 quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 Chinese long beans
- 1 cup shredded green papaya
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tamarind water
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce
Back to ingredients
- Make the pork a day in advance.
- Make a syrup with 1 c palm sugar, 1/2 c kecap manis, 3 T oyster sauce, pinch of salt and pinch of star anise (optional).
- Simmer about 3 minutes to reduce and then cool.
- Slice 6 oz pork neck into 2" x 1" pieces and marinate in the syrup overnight.
- Dry on a rack for a day until almost dry.
- Salad- pound 3 cloves of peeled garlic, pinch of salt and 4-6 brid's eyes chilis in a mortar and pestle, add 1 heaped T of roasted peanutes and 2 T dried shrimp and pound into a coarse paste.
- Add slice of lime (optional) then 4 quartered cherry tomatoes and 2 Chinese long beans (cut into 1/2" pieces) and mash gently.
- Add 1 c shredded green papaya and bruise.
- Next season with 2 T palm sugar, 1 T lime juice, 1 T tamarind water and 1-2 T fish sauce.
- Deep fry pork in oil on med heat until mahogany colored and fragrant.
- Serve alongside the salad.
- Suggest eating this with wedges of cabbage, cucumber slices and Chinese long beans.
- Coconut rice is also something to eat with the salad.