Mama’s spare ribs
If you’ve ever had spare ribs at a restaurant and wondered how to cook them, then here’s the answer. The gravy certainly is finger-licking good!
View the method
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 600-700g pork spare ribs, blanched and drained
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes quartered, or
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup sherry (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of hot water
Back to ingredients
- Saute the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add spare ribs.
- Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until meat is tender and gravy has thickened.
- Taste to see whether you need a little more sugar and vinegar or chilli.
- When ready, thicken the gravy with a corn flour paste made of 1 Tablespoon corn flour and 2 Tablespoon water.
Serve with rice or bread to soak up the gravy.