Tasty yoghurt rice
"Mainly from South India, this is the easiest meal to prepare consuming very little time. As we are approaching spring....there is no better time to make this one. Very cooling and delicious, its just what you need for those hot summers or warm springs!"
- 2 cups Indian Basmati Rice
- 4 cups Thick plain yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander
- 4 tbsp Finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tbsp Dessicated coconut
- 10 green seedless grapes, chopped into half
- Water to cook rice
- For Seasoning:
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Black Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 twig curry leaves (you can find them at any Indian Stores)
- 1 tsp coarsely chopped cashew nuts
- Wash and cook rice with 4 cups water till tender and soft. This may take 12-15 minutes. Just fluff it up a bit. Let it cool.
- In a pan, heat oil, when its ready, splutter mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves and cashew nuts and fry for 1 minute. Take off heat and keep aside.
- In a large bowl spread rice then add the yoghurt, grapes, salt, sugar, cucumber pieces and dessicated coconut. Mix well till all really blend with one another.
- Then add the seasoning to this yoghurt rice and give it a good mix. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve this with any Indian pickle.
- You can substitute the grapes with pomegranate seeds for flavour and colour. Or you can just add both if you wish, this will only enhance the flavour!