A fantastically tasty, filling and nutritious recipe that can be made in a relatively short space of time. Delicious served with fresh hot bread.
View the method
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 small onion
- Olive oil
- 1 dessert spoon curry powder – to taste
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cumin – to taste
- 1 tin of tomatoes (eg: plain, savoury, Indian)
- 3 teaspoons (heaped)
- stock powder (eg: chicken)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander or parsley to garnish
Back to ingredients
- Place lentils in a bowl, cover well with boiling water and cover with a lid.
- Soak for 15-30mins (the longer the better).
- Finely dice the onion then fry in a saucepan with a little olive oil and the curry and cumin powders.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Dissolve the stock in the 3 cups of boiling water then add to the mix.
- Once the lentils have absorbed all the water, drain, rinse and add to the mix.
- Continue to simmer until the lentils are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or parsley then serve.