Coconut and maple salted popcorn
Popcorn is a fantastic afternoon snack, but sweetening it up doesn’t have to mean a massive sugar overload. I’ve used coconut milk and a small amount of maple syrup to create a luscious and tropical twist to an afternoon treat. (And it doubles as a lighter guilty pleasure to pour over your ice cream.)
- 1 x Pams Lite Microwave Popcorn (85 gram pack)
- 1 x 425ml tin coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 heaped teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Place the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla essence in a large non-stick pan over medium heat and whisk until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat slightly and simmer vigorously for 15-20 minutes, whisking every 2-3 minutes until the mixture has thickened and darkened slightly, then whisk in the salt.
- Pour into a bowl to cool and then store in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 week. (You may need to microwave it in 10 second bursts to bring it back to a pourable consistency.) Makes 1 cup.
- Cook the popcorn according to the packet instructions.
- Remove, allow to cool slightly, then drizzle over 4-5 tablespoons of the salted maple and coconut syrup and mix well.