"Originally from North India, this side dish is superb eaten with dal and roti or paratha. It can also be served on toasted bagel crisps as a pre - dinner snack or on toasted sourdough bread. Whichever way you eat it, the taste is timeless - a winner all the way."
- 1 eggplant - large
- 1 onion - thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies - deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp ginger - shredded
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves - chopped
- 3 tbsp Ghee/clarified butter
- Prick and grease the eggplant all over and roast over charcoal fire or gas burner or under a grill till the skin becomes soft. Alternatively, prepare the eggplant in the same way and cook it in the microwave for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Once the skin is soft (you can prick it with a skewer or knife to check), remove from heat, hold under running water and remove the charred skin.
- Mash with a fork.
- Heat ghee in a wok and fry the onion till light-golden in colour. Add turmeric powder, ginger and green chillies and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the mashed eggplant, salt, red pepper and garam masala.
- Stir lightly, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add coriander leaves and sprinkle some on top.
Serve hot and enjoy!