Turn your courgette glut into burgers with this courgette burger recipe. They are a light, meat-free alternative.
- 3 courgettes (approx 400g) grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- To serve: burger buns, salad ingredients and your favourite sauces
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C or 200°C fan bake, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the grated courgette inside a clean tea towel and squeeze it to remove as much of the liquid as possible. Alternatively, place the grated courgette in a sieve and push down using the back of a spoon to remove the liquid.
3. Mix the courgettes, carrot, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Add in the egg, flour and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently until it is just combined.
4. Use a 1/2 cup measuring scoop, scoop the mixture into six patties. Gently press the mixture down into the measuring scoop and level it off with a spoon then flip it over onto the baking tray. Gently push down using the spoon to about the width of the burger bun.
5. Repeat the process to make all six patties, leaving a gap between each patty.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 220⁰C then turn the oven down to 180⁰C, flip the patties and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, until golden.
7. Serve in toasted burger buns with salad and sauces.