Mexican black beans and tomatoes
Not only is the tomatoes and black beans base full of flavour (especially when you add the jalapenos!), this base recipe is really versatile.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp Wattie’s tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans Wattie’s Mexican style tomatoes
- 400g can Wattie’s black beans in Springwater, drained
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- handful fresh coriander leaves to garnish
Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until onion is soft.
Add cumin, coriander and tomato paste. Stir and continue cooking a further minute.
Pour over Wattie’s Mexican style tomatoes.
Add Wattie’s black beans and chopped oregano. Stir and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce is reduced by a third.
Stir in jalapeno peppers if using. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Brown 400g of mince with the onions and garlic. Continue as per the recipe. Serve over nachos or in tacos. It may be necessary to reduce the sauce further if using in tacos.
- Serve sauce over grilled or crumbed chicken
- Great served over a grilled steak.
- Spice up your sausages! Grill sausages and either pour sauce over or cut cooked sausages into pieces and add to sauce
- For Mexican fish. Flour and panfry snapper fillets. Serve sauce over the cooked fish
- For a Mexican inspired cottage pie. Brown 400g mince with the onions and garlic and continue as per recipe. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with creamy mashed potato. Sprinkle with grated cheese bake until potato is golden and filling hot.
- Replace Black Beans with your favourite legumes – canned and drained chickpeas, kidney beans or haricot beans.
- Use as the base on Pizza and create a Mexican pizza – simply top with your favourite toppings.