Pumpkin & Feta Filo Pie
"Vegetarian yes, and it's as delicious as it is nutritious. Crisp pastry and a rich flavoursome filling with a nod to the famous spanakopita pies of Greece."
- 1kg pumpkin, cut in 2cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bag spinach, washed, stems removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill tips
- 190g feta, crumbled
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 200g filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place pumpkin on a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice until the pumpkin is tender. Mash lightly and leave to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 5 minutes then add the spinach and dill and cook for about 5 minutes until the spinach is completely wilted. Set aside to cool.
- When both the pumpkin and spinach are cool, mix them together in a bowl with the feta and parmesan.
- Brush the base and sides of a Swiss roll tin (16cm x 26cm) with a little of the butter. Place 1 sheet filo on a board and brush with butter. Repeat layering with 5 more sheets filo and butter. Carefully lift filo into the tin, to line base and side of pan, allowing filo to extend over edge of pan. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan.
- Repeat the layering of filo and butter and use this to top the pie, folding in the edges to neaten. Brush top with any remaining butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Stand for 10 minutes before serving with salad.
• two beaten eggs into the mix to make a firmer filling
• chopped pitted kalamata olives for an extra Greek tang
• grated nutmeg to the mashed pumpkin
Wine suggestion : Mission Estate Rose