Chilli con carne
Natural wheat bran, the main ingredient in Kellogg’s® All-Bran®, is a concentrated source of fibre. Adding a small amount to a dish can really help boost the overall fibre of the meal. With these recipes you’ll see just how versatile this simple breakfast cereal can be.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped into 2cm chunks
- 450g beef mince
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) reduced salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 75g (1 cup) All Bran®Original
- 410g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Wheat tortillas or brown rice to serve
- Low fat natural yoghurt to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and gently cook for 5-10 minutes until the onion is starting to soften.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, chilli and capsicum to the pan, cook, stirring at times, for a further 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the mince to the pan, allow it to brown while stirring to break up clumps.
- Once the mince is well coloured, add the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock, oregano and All Bran® Original. Stir to mix and then bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, adding the beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with soft wheat tortillas or brown rice. Natural yoghurt is excellent for balancing the heat.