Best Ever Scones
View the method
- 3 cups standard flour
- 6 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- extra milk
- 75g butter
- 1 to 1½ cups milk, approximately
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Grease or flour a baking tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and quickly mix with a round-bladed table knife to a soft dough. For light and tender scones the mixture should be quite soft and a little sticky. Scrape the dough onto the floured baking tray and flour the top.
- Working quickly, pat the dough out to 2cm thickness and with a floured knife cut it into 12 even-sized pieces, then separate the scones to allow 2cm space between them. Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool, wrapped in a clean tea towel to keep them soft.
Serve warm with a dollop of cream and jam.