Fish, Chickpea and Green Olive Tagine
Fresh and delicious, this beautiful aromatic dish makes a perfect mid-week meal option - fantastic with a lightly chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 kilogram thick, firm white fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander and ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 x 400 gram tin whole cherry tomatoes or crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 x 400 gram tin cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- small handful each coriander and flat-leaf parsley, chopped plus extra for serving
- 1 cup large green olives
- 1 cup fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- zest 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut the fish into 8 cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in the base of a tagine or large sauté pan.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery with a good pinch of salt and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste and the spices and cook for 1 minute then add the tomatoes, chickpeas, herbs, olives and the stock.
- Season and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish and turn to coat in the sauce. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Add the lemon zest and juice just before serving.
To serve: Scatter with herbs and serve with couscous or crusty bread.
Find the perfect match for this meal using our wine finder!