Chicken Pita Pockets
Good to make when time is short, the finer you cut the celery and cucumber the nicer it is to eat. You can mix some chopped tomatoes in with the avocado or add some of your favourite chutney.
View the method
- 70g walnut pieces, finely chopped
- 2 lemons juice and zest
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 500g chicken breast, skin removed
- 2 egg whites
- 3 celery sticks
- 2-3 avocados
- ¾ telegraph cucumber
- 1 pkt pita bread
- ALSO NEED: salt, pepper, olive oil
Back to ingredients
- Mix together the nuts, lemon zest and the breadcrumbs.
- Put onto a dinner plate.
- Slice the chicken breast into finger thick slices. Season well, with plenty of pepper.
- Whisk egg whites and 2 tbs of water in a shallow dish until mixed.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg white mixture and then roll in the crumb mixture.
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan on medium heat and fry the chicken until well cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking finely slice the cucumber and celery into skinny strips.
- Scoop out the avocado, slice and tip the lemon juice over the slices. Season well.
- Cut each pita bread in half to create a pocket.
- Mash a 1/3 of the avocado and spread some inside each pita.
- Add the celery, cucumber and chicken.
- Serve with a spoonful of avocado on top
- Add tomatoes, grated carrot or a squeeze of lime if you have some.
- You can warm the pita bread in the oven for a few minutes first if you prefer.
- Add a few chilli flakes to the crumb mix for a spicier version.