Yakitori & pork and spring onion & corn skewers
Yakitori" means chargrilled chicken but it also refers to a style of cooking. The method often means threading the ingredients of your choice onto skewers and then BBQ or cook them on a chargrilled pan. Here are 3 different types of Yakitori but you can use other types of meat, seafood or seasonal vegetables.
- Yakitori skewers:
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water to prevent them burning
- 200 grams chicken mince
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, grated
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water and chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Ground white pepper & sea salt
- Sauce for Yakitori:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Pork & spring onion skewers:
- 200 grams pork belly, cut into 3cm lengths
- 4 spring onions (white part only), cut into 3cm lengths
- Corn Skewers:
- Pre-heat a char-grill pan or BBQ to high.
- Combine sauce ingredients; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the chicken mince, garlic, shiitake, spring onion, soy sauce, flour, pepper and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mince mixture into 8 portions and shape each one around a skewer.
- Place a piece of tin foil on top of the char-grill or BBQ and cook the skewers for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Turn occasionally and brush with sauce.
Pork & spring onion skewers:
- Pre-heat chargrill pan or BBQ to high.
- Thread skewers with two pieces pork, alternating with two pieces of spring onion.
- Grill or BBQ for couple of minutes or until cooked through.
- Turn skewers occasionally and season with salt and white pepper.
- Thread corn onto skewers and chargrill for a couple of minutes until browned.
- Spread with butter and brush with soy sauce.
- Cook a further minute before serving.