Taiwanese stew beef steak noodle soup
"The seductive and famous Taiwanese stew beef steak soup with an exotic blend of spices with freshness of spring onion and tomatoes as soup base will excite your taste buds. It's a thrill to your pallete with perfectly cooked tender beef steak and chewy thick udon noodle! Hearty, Simple & Exciting."
- For the soup stock (makes 12 servings):
- 8 cups of water
- 800g Beef Diced Steak
- 4 Spring Onions - chopped in half (can leave some finely sliced for garnishing)
- 5 Tbsp Ginger Paste OR Fresh Ginger 6 slices
- 4 Tbsp Garlic Paste (chopped)
- 1 sliced Onion
- 1.5 Tbsp Red Pepper Corn/Chinese Red Pepper Corn
- 5 Tbsp Rice Cooking Wine
- 4 Tbsp Rice Brain Oil
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 8 pieces Star Anise
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp Taiwanese Broadbean Paste with Chili - available at Asian food warehouse or use 2 chopped fresh chili with any type of bean paste you can find at supermarket international food aisle
- To serve (per serving):
- Udon Noodles
- 1/2 Bunch Bok Choy
- Handful of Snow Peas
To make the stock:
- Pour the water into a pot, let it sit on stove without turning it on.
- Add beef diced steak, 4 halved spring onions, ginger paste/ginger slices, 3 tbsp rice cooking wine, turn the stove on high and let it boil for 20 minutes. Then turn off stove and leave it to sit on stove.
- Use a frying pan and heat up the rice brain oil, add garlic paste(chopped), red pepper corn and sliced onion then stir fry until the onions soft.
- Then add broad bean paste, soy sauce, sugar, rest of the rice wine and tomatoes, stir fry for 1 minute on high.
- Pour all ingredients from frying pan back into the pot, turn on the stove again on low, then add star anise and cinnamon sticks and let it boil for 40 minutes on low heat with lid on. Then turn it off.
- Boil some water and put noodles in, boil then put them in a bowl.
- Add in the snow peas and Bok Choy and bring to the boil.
- For one serving, add 1/2 cup of the soup with 1 cup of boiled water in the bowl (soup stock and water ratio is 1:2).
- Give it a gentle stir with your chopsticks or fork, add sliced spring onion for garnishing. Done and Enjoy!