Asparagus and cheese bread crusted pies
View the method
- 2 bunches (or 24 spears) of asparagus
- 1/2 cup Mainland Egmont cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Anchor cream
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 12 slices thin white bread
- 50g Mainland butter, melted
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Back to ingredients
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes until just cooked.
- Cut the crusts off the bread slices and brush each side with melted butter, pressing them into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Slice the asparagus diagonally into 1cm slices – separate the tips and pile the remainder into the bread cases.
- Place the Egmont on top of the asparagus followed by two asparagus tips.
- Beat together the eggs, cream, lemon zest and seasoning and pour evenly between the 12 pies.
- Bake at 180° C for 15-20 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.