"A wonderful light and moreish flan that is a winner! Especially great to serve for lunch! Delightful, easy to make with pastry you press in a dish rather than roll out. It reflects New Zealand ingenuity in producing great food with minimal effort."
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 120 grams soft butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tins asparagus, drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Dash tabasco
- Pastry: Place flour in bowl, mix in the butter until it is like breadcrumbs.
- Add the oil and egg and knead together until a soft dough is formed.
- Press into a shallow pie dish with fingers.
- Blind bake the pastry for 15 minutes before adding the topping.
- Filling: Place asparagus on pastry.
- Combine liquid ingredients with 1 cup of cheese, a shake of Tabasco and salt and pepper.
- Reserve cayenne for sprinkling lightly on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cayenne pepper.
- Bake 180°C for approximately 30 minutes.