Simple fresh flavours that match a good Riesling. This recipe is easy to make and is even better with vine ripened tomatoes, especially if fresh from your garden.
- 6 Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- 2 Sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Beaten Egg
- Skin, deseed and dice 6 ripe tomatoes.
- Soften 2 cloves of garlic in 2 Tbsp Olive Oil.
- When garlic soft and just starting to colour, add diced tomatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt, a good grind of fresh black pepper, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until thick and pulpy. You will need to stir this often, when cooked allow to cool.
- Cut 6 discs from (use a large cup or small bowl as the template/cutter) from 2 sheets of thawed ready rolled puff pastry.
- In the middle of each disc place a Tbsp of tomato mix, spread out to within 2cm of the edge, but make sure you leave a 1.5 to 2 cm edge of pastry around the tart.
- Cover the tomato mix with small halved cherry tomatoes, cut side down.
- Brush exposed pastry edge with beaten egg and bake in a hot oven (at least 200°C) until the pastry edge has risen and is golden brown – about 10 minutes.
Serve as an entrée or as a main meal with a fresh rocket leaf salad and relish.